Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Orla for Surya!



















The Orla Kiely Collection for Target is lovely. I bought a tablecloth (amongst a lot of other things), but couldn't bring myself to use it after remembering the fate of many a favourite tablecloth becoming curry-stain-ville after 5 uses. So I decided - I'll make cushion covers instead! That way I can stare at them all day, and even give them an occasional feel-up. It took me a week to gather up the strength to put scissors to amazing fabric, but once that initial hurdle was crossed, it took about an hour to produce three wonderful cushions. Since I am not a fan of hemming, I remembered to use the already finished edge of the tablecloth to my advantage and so only a square had to be sewed. I'm lazy like that. And my cushion covers ended up looking pro with the Orla label and all...






















































































Thanks Grace, for featuring this on Design*Sponge!

3 comments:

Lucky said...

these turned out fantastic! it's always great when u can utilize an exisiting hem - i tried making envelope backs - and i have such a hard time!

the little girl is too cute! (thinking she's yours :)

margaux said...

wow i love this idea!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Orla!!! I used the placemats to make a really cute bag! Like you, I just couldn't bring myself to put them in my kitchen where they would get slathered with spaghetti... Pillows! Why didn't I think of that? It's exactly what I will do with the tablecloth that I bought!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails